From the Arabic "Majairón" which means "cabezota", referring to the abrupt cliff of 1,012 m on which the population is located. There are also chronicles where Mangirón refers to a word of Arabic etymology that means "good water" for the quality of the water from the old source.
He was linked in the Middle Ages to the Community of Villa and Tierra de Buitrago. In the sixteenth century, when the first population data appeared, Mangirón passed to the Señorío de Buitrago until the abolition of the Señorial Regime in the 19th century.
In the years 1554, 1656 and 1670 it had 50, 18 and 13 neighbors respectively. In 1751 the population increases to 23 neighbors. In the new territorial organization of Carlos IV, Mangirón was integrated in the Throat Room for judicial purposes. In the 19th century, Mangirón broke its ties with Guadalajara and in 1833 it became dependent on Madrid, receiving Cinco Villas as an annex.
The population grows slowly: in 1850, it had 207 inhabitants, in 1889 with 330 and in 1921 with 481 thanks to the construction of the dams. In turn, Mangirón had outstanding buildings such as the Town Hall, the Primary School and the Parochial Church.
Landscape and Nature
The visual scope of Mangirón is wide: to the east it has views of the Villar surrounded by pine forests, to the north there are numerous mountains of above and to the south of the reservoir of Old Bridges and to the Northwest of the nucleus it emphasizes the hill of Picazuelo that shortens the views of Mangirón.
Parish of Santiago Apóstol
Potro de herrar
Caserío de Santillana
Santiago Apostle (July 25)
Skull Festival (November 1)
San Miguel (September 29)
Cultural Week (December 22 - January 4)